U bent hier

Insurance and VISA


Accident and third party liability insurance

Incoming exchange students should be insured by their home university for accident and third party liability insurance as they are still registered as a student in their home university. This insurance should be valid during educational and recreational activities in university buildings, during transfers to and from the university and during excursions approved by the university.
If not the case, then students should make sure to insure themselves for all possible risks.

Health Insurance

Before leaving for Antwerp students should report to their insurance company and carefully examine whether or not their health insurance covers all medical costs for the entire period of stay in Belgium. If that is not the case, they can choose to take up insurance with a local health insurance federation in Antwerp upon their arrival.

More information on http://www.belgium.be/en/health/european_health_insurance_card

Fire Insurance

Before signing your rental contract, ask your landlord about the fire insurance.

A fire can cause significant damage. It is not enough that the landlord insures the house. After the landlord's insurance provider has reimbursed him or her for damage to the building, they will attempt to recover the compensation costs from the tenant if responsible.

The landlord's insurance will not cover any damage to your personal effects! Your parents' fire insurance may cover your personal effects and furniture, since they have been temporarily moved to your student accommodation. Check this in your parents' insurance policy. This is only possible if you are still registered as living at home!

If your landlord's rental agreement does not include a waiver of recovery and/or you are not (fully) covered by your parents' insurance policy then you will have to take out your own fire insurance. This should cover the three risks: tenant's liability, liability vis-à-vis third parties and damage to your own personal effects. Contact an insurance provider or a bank for more information.

For example: Ethias, ING Belgium, Belfius, KBC, …


If you are a national of a European Economic Area country* or from Monaco or Switzerland you may travel to Belgium on the strength of a national passport or identity card.

If you have any other nationality, you have to apply for a student visa (type D) with the Belgian embassy or consulate in your current country of residence before leaving for Belgium.
Having a European Union residence permit from another EU country is not sufficient because upon arrival in Belgium you will have to present the same documents to the immigration office as for a student visa (type D) application.

 If you have dual citizenship (for example non-EU and EU) and you are not currently a resident of an EU country, we strongly advise you to apply for a visa. The issuance of a residence permit could otherwise be delayed as you will not have health insurance issued by a European provider (which is a requirement for all European nationals to stay in Belgium). By applying for a visa, you will already be able to settle this in advance.

 *EEA: EU + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

Please make sure to check the latest information on: :

Addresses of the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country:

Important note
For some countries, approval by the Belgian authorities can take up to three months or longer. Make sure you start the visa application procedure well in advance! We urge you not to come on a tourist visa alone.

New contribution for visa long stay

Since 2 March 2015, non-EU nationals have to pay a contribution which is to cover the administrative costs involved with the processing by the Immigration Office of a long stay visa application for Belgium. When submitting the visa application, the applicant who is required to pay the contribution has to demonstrate that the contribution has been paid in full.

UPDATE: As of academic year 2016-17, international students on a scholarship are exempt from paying this contribution fee. 

More information on https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/news/Pages/Contributioncoveringadministrativecostsofanapplication.aspx